Are you picking out your Christmas tree this weekend? Try out this simple festive garland, inspired by stories of handmade decorations from A Foxfire Christmas.
Christmas Tree Garland
- Jute twine or yarn
- Fabric strips or a wide ribbon
For this project, we kept it simple, using just 2 colors and alternating as we made it. But you can use various colors and types of fabric and add in pretty ribbons. Get as creative as you’d like.
- Gather all your fabric and supplies.
- Cut your fabric or ribbon into strips. This doesn’t need to be perfect. I used a t-shirt type ribbon and cut strips about 6 inches long. The length of strips can be shorter or longer depending on the look you are going for. You probably wouldn’t want to go much shorter, as it would become difficult to form the knot, the smaller it gets.
- Depending on how long you wanted your garland or banner, you can cut a length of twine or yarn, or do as I did, and work from the skein and cut when I have enough length. Leaving a length of exposed jute/yarn to tie up your banner/garland, take a fabric strip and fold it in half and place the jute/yarn on top.
- Then pull your two ends over the yarn and through the loop and pull tight. This will form your knot.
- Continue adding strips until you have reached the length you’d like. Leave another even length of jute/yarn at the other end.
- Decorate the tree and enjoy!