Foxfire has a collection of resources that support inquiry-based and experiential learning activities to get your student excited about school! This page is for educators, parents, students, and individuals looking to discover more about Southern Appalachia. Explore lesson plans built around Georgia state standards, watch an informational video, or try out a fun hands-on activity!
Take your Foxfire trip (virtual or in person!) to the next level ! Use the following resources to enhance or inspire in-class or at-home experiential learning for K-12 students. Some activities are for specific learning levels, but get creative and adapt them to meet your students’ needs!
- Learn about parts of a plant and their role in our daily lives with this heirloom gardening lesson! (1st & 2nd grades)
- Get your hands in the dirt and learn how to sprout seeds at home, using pantry staples.
- Discover the microscopic world of fibers (no microscope required!)
- Explore your backyard and complete this scavenger hunt!
Middle Grades Science:
- Investigate the traditions of planting by the signs and heirloom gardening in Appalachia!
- Learn how a blacksmith heats and hammers metal with this video and follow-up questions.
Middle Grades Math:
- Learn how to build a log cabin, and how math can help you in the real world!
- Foxfire is known for its oral histories. Watch this video and conduct your own oral history! Looking for something more challenging? Make a lasting impact with our COVID-19 Crowd-sourced Oral History Project.
- This experiential learning activity teaches about childhood and toys while you make cornshuck dolls or yarn dolls.
- Recycle those pesky plastic shopping bags with this activity on how to make plarn (plastic + yarn).
- Need an easy art project? Color in history with these Foxfire-inspired coloring sheets.
- Get creative with nature and make some art!
Formal Learning Plans:
Check out our recommended resources and suggested reading list to explore the culture and ecology of the region.
Foxfire has also compiled a wealth of useful material for educators. For a complete listing of available materials, visit our shop.